Sign in to follow this  
Chris

May 7, 2008 - New Feature

Open/Close New Topics  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Topic Creator be able to open/close their own topics?

• Yes
    • No

Majority rules

Minority Rights

I'm saying no. Unless something is posted that's inappropriate or illegal, all topics should stay open. Consideing how rarely that happens, I don't see any reason to allow people to close their own topics. I guess I'm just worried that topics will be closed while people are still interested in posting in them.

I say yes because of what happened earlier [hoping to be able to re-open them as well] and because it's like a given for TCs to be able to close their own topics.

^That won't happen. Once a topic is closed, it shouldn't be able to be able to be re-opened. Especially since I don't know any way to distinguish between topics closed by a moderator and topics closed by the TC. Thus, if a moderator closes a topic for something inappropriate, the TC would still be able to open them. And that could escallate into an argument that would cause major problems on the board.

Cannon doesn't normally delete topics, and after being here for a little while, I've seen why. A number of arguments have been solved by going back to an old forgotten topic and reminding someone of a previous occurance. I'm not going to point fingers or say any names, since those things have been put behind us. But no, we don't usually delete topics, and there is a good reason for it.

Well if someone's immature enough to argue with the mod's decision of closing a topic, then their topic ought to be deleted =/

Not if the topic was beneficial to some people...and it is likely we could eventually get trolls.

Jayon makes a good point, besides the current method does work. If you need a topic closed or opened just pm one of us, and we will take a look at it--and if viable do it.

>.>

I guess the saying "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" applies here.

>.<

So what, there's no sort of punishment or anything for someone who acts out of line?

That's because no one has done anything really stupid in the first place. I can name a few "challenges" but we're tight knit enough of an online community for everything to resolve itself without any punishment.

If someone were to put the sanctity of this place in jeopardy, then they would have something to worry about.

It takes quite a great deal of something to push me to the point where I would ban someone, I'd rather just get everything out in the open, and then resolve the issue, rather than bury it beneath a ban. The only thing that will likely get anyone banned here is uploading, or linking to ROMS, Explicit Material...etc...

Anything else can be resolved through negotiation.

I've seen my fair share of sites that are to quick to ban, let alone moderate a light-hearted post, or a double or triple post. The way I see it, as long as this site doesn't have anything to do with commercial business, and as long as offensive material (e.g. insults, illegal, or explicit content) is kept out, then people can post as they please.

Though most "insults" here are resolved.

That's because no one has done anything really stupid in the first place. I can name a few "challenges" but we're tight knit enough of an online community for everything to resolve itself without any punishment.

If someone were to put the sanctity of this place in jeopardy, then they would have something to worry about.

It takes quite a great deal of something to push me to the point where I would ban someone, I'd rather just get everything out in the open, and then resolve the issue, rather than bury it beneath a ban. The only thing that will likely get anyone banned here is uploading, or linking to ROMS, Explicit Material...etc...

Anything else can be resolved through negotiation.

I've seen my fair share of sites that are to quick to ban, let alone moderate a light-hearted post, or a double or triple post. The way I see it, as long as this site doesn't have anything to do with commercial business, and as long as offensive material (e.g. insults, illegal, or explicit content) is kept out, then people can post as they please.

Though most "insults" here are resolved.

That explains why I didn't get the banhammer back during the "clone wars".

I accidentally voted for Yes, I wanted to vote for No, but internet was crappy and I couldn't stop the page from loading.

Some mod/Cannon please change my vote, if possible. It should end up being as this:

• Yes [3]
  • No [4]

^Done

^Done

Much?simas gracias. =]

I'd like to see a little more discussion on this. Since it will be a change that affects the entire board, and it's a reasonably big change, it'd be nice to get more input.

I think it should be possible that the TC has some influence on the topic being closed. Not total control, only influence. Though you should be able to close your own topics by choice if you want.

I think it should be possible that the TC has some influence on the topic being closed. Not total control, only influence. Though you should be able to close your own topics by choice if you want.

Are you aware of the heavy contradiction in those two lines?

Anyway, I believe that this shouldn't happen. Why? Jayon exposed it himself pretty clearly. It is blatant obvious that if this occurs, problems will come. We all know problems will come.

Wanna close a topic? Ask a mod. Problem solved. Wanna reopen a topic? Ask a mod, after understanding the reason for it getting closed.

There'd be too much freedom, and things could get hard to control, loosing the smooth control we've had in this site since it started.

I voted for yes, but after seeing the reasoning behind your guy's votes, I can see why it might be dangerous. I still think it would be a nice freedom to have, and I trust the people on this board for the most part so, I'll still go for yes, but I don't really mind so much either way. As long as you don't have the power to delete the topic, I think its fine.

^ It won't be safe when we get more people, which will happen.

I wouldn't usually do this, but I think we should have a re-vote. As Lonte just demonstrated, most people vote without reading the conversation going with the poll. As such, there are ramifications of making this change that not everyone will consider. My initial thought when reading this poll was 'yes! Of course!' But after thinking it through, I changed my mind. If some of the people who voted changed their mind after reading the discussion, the poll may be inaccurate. And again, this is something that could have a major impact on the board. It's something we want to get right.