Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Revote - Should TC be allowed to close & open own topics

TCO/CT  

10 members have voted

1. 1. TC open & close topics? Read discussion first

• Yes
    • No

I'm not going to vote. Becuase you guys care and I don't.

Remember that the point of this re-vote isn't to try to push anyone to make a specific vote, it's to ensure that everyone has thought about all of the possible results of making this change. If the majority does decide that the TC should be able to open and close topics, I'll accept that decision. However, I want that to be an informed decision, not one made on an initial thought or just on a whim.

Damn there are some pessimistic people here. If there's a problem between a mod's decision to delete a thread and the TC's decision to keep it open, just delete it. If it's so awful that it needs to be closed, then it needs to be deleted so no one can even read it. If you're gonna go one way, go all the way.

No Diorte, the problem resides when a TC closes a good topic because it doesn't go the way they originally intended or something in it devolves, and as a way to "get back" they close it. deletion of good topics are not an option, and then getting into a open/close -> eventual temp ban war is less productive and more of a headache than the current method.

If the topic is bad enough to be closed by a mod, then we would likely archive it anyway, out of the TC's view. It's Closing good topics that has more negative consequences.

The only reason I'm even saying yes is because for most of the forums I roam about in, the option for the TC to close a topic is a given. You even thought TCs could do it at first. It's like a basic right to your own topic. If you want to continue a good topic that was closed, make a new darn topic about it.

You should be able to close your own topics, and have the ability to re-open the topics of your own that you, yourself, have closed. So yes. However, the powers of the mods shouldn't be debatable, so there shouldn't be any ability to re-open topics closed by mods unless a mod deems that it is possible to re-open it.

Still a "no" for me. And we've discussed this enough, I already gave my reasons. If we think big, this WILL be an issue at least once. It's not matter of if it will happen, but WHEN it will happen, if "yes" wins.

But I guess that's not my issue, but Cannon's, and the mods'.

Well this site won't be big for quite a long time.

I just hope we don't come to regret this decision. If my expectations don't come to pass, I'll be happy.

If it gets out of hand there is nothing to say that we can't go back to the old ways.

^Except then we'll likely wind up with a full-scale revolt on our hands...

Jayon, you shouldn't worry so much. We can always go back to the old ways, as LAN (Seeker) said, and we should have the option of closing our own topics and re-opening them if we closed them. The mods would still retain power, and their decisions to close/re-open a topic should be uncounterable by the TC. And if a mod abuses that ability, then the rest of the mods can counter it.

Basically, the TC can close and then re-open his own topic. If a mod closes the topic, the TC can't re-open it. If a mod re-opens a topic, the TC can't close it. If a single mod gets out of hand, then the rest of the mods can counter him/her.

That's perfectly fair, and can't get out of hand, right?

I actually haven't tested that, and I don't have enough php experience to work with tiered member permissions as of right now. So if it currently doesn't do that, then I can't mod it until I understand the system, and that could take a while in my current level.

Three people can keep a secret, if two of them are dead. I trust you get my point.

I was trying to make it invisible but the color choice of the forum doesn't match up with anything.

But...if you can get THAT to work, how is this much different?

Anyone who revolts can simply be struck down by the almighty banhammer anyway, Cannon, and you wield it. And nobody on this site currently is immature enough to revolt. So we're good.

You guys don't think there'd be any problems if that kind of power was suddenly taken away? Well, I guess I just have less faith in the peaceful human spirit :p

Oh, and DM, while Cannon may 'wield the banhammer' as you've said, the whole point of this is that he never wants to use it; we prefer to settle things peacefully here. Unfortunatley, when someone gets very upset, they often make it impossible to easily resolve the issue.

Oh well, whatever. It looks like things have been decided. Again, I just hope that you guys are right; I'm really hoping this doesn't cause any problems.

The banhammer is to be used only when necessary. If there's a revolt, yeah, that's kinda necessary. Gotta take down teh leadar.