Sign in to follow this  
Willhelm

Oil and Gasoline *some strong language*

We don't use our oil DM. 70% of our oil is exported, the rest is either refined or saved in the oil reserves. Venezuela has the biggest oil and gas reserves in the world you know, and it's only like 25% what goes there. ^_^

Due to the underdeveloped and centered economy, our fields, which are quite large, are ignored and underused, and our own oil, instead of being refined, is exported due to the, once again, bad politics implemented. We import like 65% to 70% of the products we eat and use (from clothes, to car tires, to veggies). Venezuela has national industries and refineries, but they produce only a small percentage of our products.

Don't be wrong DM, we are not USA, all our presidents have been idiotic morons throughout history and none of them have known what to do with Venezuela's natural richness. Instead of taking advantage of what we have and create a strong internal economy/market as the USA has done, we have relied on imports since colonial times, with crude (and coffee before its discovery) always being there to pay for those imports.

Too bad solar powered cars don't work, I remember hearing about them a few years ago.

Saying that about Venezuela dosnt make much sense though... we get majority of our oil from Canada...

I think we do need a trucker strike actually.

Edit: You misinterpreted me. I didn't say USA's crude imports are mainly from Venezuela. I said that the USA buys most of our oil. Completely different aspects. And yes, you've been affected by it, because if the OPEC rises the oil prices, it harms USA directly in some way, but it also harms it indirectly by forcing the other oil markets to rise the prices as well. >.>

Yeah, to my knowledge, most of our oil comes from the Middle East, like most of everybody else's oil, since most of the oil in the world is there.

But we do get a bunch of oil from Venezuela, as Louis says, and us Americans need to REALLY cut back on our oil usage.

Oil basically runs the world. Oil has been "running out" for hundreds of years, why do we need to cut back? It's not like oil companies don't make a ridiculous profit from gas that's charged at like $2 per gallon as it is.

We need to cut back so that we don't have to pay $4 a gallon.

Oil basically runs the world. Oil has been "running out" for hundreds of years, why do we need to cut back? It's not like oil companies don't make a ridiculous profit from gas that's charged at like $2 per gallon as it is.

How could we have been running out of it for hundreds of years, if we've only been using it for little more than 100? The egines we've been using that ran off of oil and diseil have only been used for so long... not nearly as much as the original internal combustion engine.

Yeah, to my knowledge, most of our oil comes from the Middle East, like most of everybody else's oil, since most of the oil in the world is there.

But we do get a bunch of oil from Venezuela, as Louis says, and us Americans need to REALLY cut back on our oil usage.

Your knowledge is wrong.

Top 10 Oil producers for the USA:

1. Canada

2. Mexico

3. Saudi Arabia

4. Venezuela

5. Nigeria

6. Angola

7. Iraq

8. Algeria

9. United Kingdom

10. Brazil

Yes, Venezuela is 4th on the list, but we only get about 18% of our oil from the middle east.

I'll add more latter, gotta go take a final...

Edit:

About 50% of our crude comes from Canada.

18% from the middle east all together

And the rest, I'm not quite sure on, but it varys from place to place nothing more than 10% I believe.

Edited by Willhelm

We don't only use oil in vehicles, sir. I know for a fact we've been "running out of oil" since the 1920s. It was "supposed to run out within a couple decades" back in the 20s. It's just bullshit.

So it has. And it continues to run out every day as more and more oil is used. Now, here's the BIGGEST reason why we should cut back:

We don't know WHEN it will run out. Why dry up the reserves faster?

I've only been saying that the whole bleeding time.

christ... One minute you're saying my idea's are retarted or not good. the next you're saying what I am...

Retarded is spelled with a "d". And there is no apostrophe in ideas when it isn't possessive.

Also, capitals are at the beginning of sentences.

Anyway, no one said that your ideas are retarded, only that they aren't plausible right now.

Retarded is spelled with a "d". And there is no apostrophe in ideas when it isn't possessive.

That was rude, rough, unnecessary, and very heavy on Will. Avoid doing these harsh, sharp, and hasty comments DM, because lately you've used them more often, and they are extremely annoying.

Kay.

Kay.

Thanks ^_^

Sometimes you feel like being the grammar police. If I'm being an ass about it, I can understand if someone tells me.

Anyway, no one said that your ideas are retarded, only that they aren't plausible right now.

Thankyou for the defense on that one Ikus.

And Dudemaster.... Normaly I would agree with you what with the capital letter's thing. But that wasnt a sentance, it was a single word. A statement. And I dont like him, so I dont turn him into a proper noun most of the time... Unless it's something about Jesus...

In any case. I spell horridly, so shut yer yap on the spelling stuff, a lot of people on here cant spell, and I dont see a spellchecker anywhere. If there was, I'd used the blasted thing. When I write fast, and dont pay attention, I type carlessly.[/endcomplaint]

It's just annoying when you say one thing and everyone's against you, then half way through it, they say the exsact same thing you do only in quite a diffrent way.

I really dont see how that fuel cells arnt a feasable idea for the near future [next 3 years or so]. If people would just realize how far we've got left with oil and how much it's hurting world economy. Which it is. The gas prices seem to go up, but does anyone besides the oil companies profit from that? Not that I've seen... I really have done a lot of research on this and all. All of it, diffrent fuel sources, oil prices, predictions, talked to people from other countries about their own problems... Hell over in Brittan, it's around $10 a gallon. Unless he did his conversions wrong...

if you guys are currently paying $4 for a gallon, you should think yourselves lucky. Near me, in jolly old England, the average price for Unleaded petrol is ?1.15 per per litre. 1 Imperial gallon = 4.54 litres, so we are currently paying ?5.22 per gallon, which based on the most recent exchange rate works out as $10.24 per gallon!

AND the Government wants to add another 2p tax increase on petrol in a couple of months time. The price of oil is ridiculous at the moment. When i learnt to drive 6 years ago, petrol was 72p per litre, and it's getting to the point where I need to seriously need to try and find other ways to get to work in the mornings.

And to what you were saying with the problems to hydrogen... You mearly said it wouldnt work, so naturally I fought you with science. Now, the same person who backed me up with said science gave his science as to wh hydrogen cars would possibly not work at the moment. If ya'll done this, I most likely would have shut the ###### up right away.

Our atmosphere is composed of 21% oxygen, 78% nitrogen, and less than 1% CO2, Argon, and trace amounts of a couple other gases. No hydrogen.

So, where do we get hydrogen? Water. Electrolysis splits water atoms into oxygen and hydrogen. Now here's the question, and the resulting problem: How do you get the electricity to split the water to get hydrogen?

Yup, hydrogen is clean to burn (Fuel cells can produce water, burning hydrogen won't) but producing hydrogen in the first place isn't, because we need to burn fossil fuels to get that hydrogen. A lot of people say we could burn some fossil fuel, get some hydrogen, and then use that hydrogen to produce electricity to get the rest of Hydrogen from then on. The question is: Does burning hydrogen produce enough energy to for electrolysis? Because if it doesn't, we can't do that, and will be stuck burning fossil fuels to get hydrogen.

Fuel cells only produce electricity, and modern day technology isn't anywhere near as far as Fuel Cell potential can go. A future Fuel Cell can recycle it's own fuel source for a very long time until it finally bleeds out (It's impossible to completely recycle something like that. No perpetual energy for us), but at the moment, we're not that far yet. Honestly, I'm not sure just how good our current fuel cells are for cars, but we do need to figure out just how beneficial it is.

Blind me with science, and I'll see the flaw in my own reasoning. Edited by Willhelm

The "correctional" post DM took the liberty of making was pretty redundant and contributed absolutely nothing to the conversation at hand. A bit of a red herring almost.

*Sigh* Will, you know, I'm not fighting anymore.

Fuel cells truly are a highly promising method of radically gaining independence from oil.

But I still prefer my air cars. They are clean, quiet, only need air, and on top of it all, liberate cold, purified oxygen as disposal. They are perfect. >.>

I just ask that you post some kind of link to see the blasted things.... I dont know what's real and what's not. You apprently do. Put something up at least. Hell even just an image of one...

That's all I bloody ask. I only defend the hydrogen because I dont know of anything better, if you've got something you see more promise in, then iluminate me damnit. Please?

Hell, I'm even being polite now... I barely ever do that.

Here you go.

Although still a shifty prototype, you cannot expect more in the current state of technological underdevelopment in which we are right now. This will change shortly, perhaps passively, but maybe it will occur as a Technological Revolution.

We have yet to see, since mostly everything we think and do today is in beta state for tomorrow. I think this idea is quite promising, but it's not perfect yet. It has to be further refined.

Google it yourself if you wish more details, although I believe the sites I linked are enough. :)