Sign in to follow this  
edward18

Ressurection

Life. The key instinct of any existing sentient being; to live and keep life occurring. There is one fatal flaw in this instinct though, the host of the soul breaks down and returns to the various elements that it was formed from.

In the story of Frankenstein the scientist Victor Frankenstein seeks to bring to life an immortal creature comprised of dead corpses of humans and it is in fact brought to life as a new sentient being. Another example of overcoming death, in a sense, are zombies. Zombies are dead beings that have been brought back into the realm of the living as mindless servants or flesh eating monsters through either magical or scientific means. And of course, there is the story of Jesus Christ from the various religions rooted in the same base of a man who comes to save humanity who is part God and is crucified before coming back to life showing that he has overcome death.

But can normal humans' souls in reality be brought back into the realm of the living after ceasing to live? In instances of dying (the heart stops beating) some have been brought back to life from doctors in a short time period after they've died sometimes talking of a bright light. But what of those long dead? Can they come back to life in any form? If they were to be brought back would they be an entirely new being or would they borrow the soul of themselves long passed into another realm?

If the long-dead were to come back to life in any form, then it's reincarnation rather than ressurrection. :p

But yeah, for the long dead, they'd need a new body, since their body would have long since decomposed. Which is reincarnation.

A zombie is reincarnation? ;>_> How many instances has the dead ever came back to life, besides in religions? How would you go about doing so, magic? Can't be science, we've yet to even find evidence of a supposed soul. It doesn't take a soul to make life. If it did, explain Planarians, unless humans are the only living beings with souls, in which case, is there a set number of souls [or unlimited for convenience-sake] or is a new soul made every time two pairs of lovers procreate? [sorry, feel like being a douche]

a human can also be created from cloning Diorte. I was worried when I used the term soul in the topic, I mainly used it for more emphasis in the sentences is all. Also, science fiction has the dead coming back to life, not just religion.

Pushing Daisies. >.>

These topics give me a headache to think about but I will try anyway...

Humans have come back to life as you stated earlier, but they just can't hold up well after the many years wearing away on their body parts. Once the brain or heart stops working you truly die, I think it highly possible to bring someone back to life if their body can hold up. But most peoples bodies are too worn down by the time they are near death from old age. In the future it may become possible to move someones brain into another body and then start everything up so that it works correctly as long as the brain is not decayed in any way. I don't think there are any souls as you keep on referring to. I do believe however, that once the brain or heart is decayed to the point that it can no longer work that is when you go into an afterlife of some sort.

I think I got a little off topic with the whole thing...

Edited by Sour_Zelda

Science fiction is science fiction for a reason. Scientology is science fiction meets religion. I was going to mention cloning as well, but I already know everyone's stance on that.

before things happen they are science ficition if they are thought up and are sought to be achieved by logical means

Humans have come back to life as you stated earlier, but they just can't hold up well after the many years wearing away on their body parts. Once the brain or heart stops working you truly die, I think it highly possible to bring someone back to life if their body can hold up. But most peoples bodies are too worn down by the time they are near death from old age. In the future it may become possible to move someones brain into another body and then start everything up so that it works correctly as long as the brain is not decayed in any way. I don't think there are any souls as you keep on referring to. I do believe however, that once the brain or heart is decayed to the point that it can no longer work that is when you go into an afterlife of some sort.

Pfff. Why transplant the whole brain? Just transfer the memories and whatnot onto a computer and work from there...

Pfff. Why transplant the whole brain? Just transfer the memories and whatnot onto a computer and work from there...

Good point, maybe it could start with a brain transplant and then after a few years after technology proceeds they could use that.

Well, think about what the "soul" is. It's really just your brain. If somebody was brought back to life with their own brain also brought back to life, they shouldn't exhibit any changes in their personality.

the brain is just an organic machine. Who's to say it wouldn't start over as an entirely new person if it was brought back?

The soul is not your brain. You can say the mind is the soul, but the mind doesn't exist without the brain, so that nulls that entirely. There would be changes in personality if a dead person's brain were to be transplanted. Brain cells would have died off after the death of the person, reducing the brain's efficiency, erasing memories, dulling senses, everything. The brain is organic, it does rot you know.

The soul is not your brain. You can say the mind is the soul, but the mind doesn't exist without the brain, so that nulls that entirely. There would be changes in personality if a dead person's brain were to be transplanted. Brain cells would have died off after the death of the person, reducing the brain's efficiency, erasing memories, dulling senses, everything. The brain is organic, it does rot you know.

BRAAAAAAAAAAAIIIINSSSSSSS

Cryonics. Its the closest thing we have right now to long-term resurrection. But really, once we've found a way to make a person live again (probably with very fine and sensitive pinpointed electric stimulation) all we have to do from there is make sure the body doesn't decompose/find a way to regenerate organs perfectly. Yes, I know, here we humans go again... contradicting nature as usual.

In a nutshell, let's say you die. BUT! You die in a way that your brain and most of your vital organs aren't damaged by a large margin (blown off, hacked away bla bla bla), and you've made arrangements with your family members that you want your body to undergo the process of Cryonics. So you're put in the ice bed (similar to Hypersleep Chambers in the Alien series) and you wake, alive and well thanks to some miraculous device that was invented in the future! Of course, you'll probably have to go through a bunch of therapy, medical examinations, physical/mental trials, etc. before you can step foot into the world of the future. And you wouldn't immediatly know how many years have passed. It could be thousands >.> Which I won't really like. Everyone would be so much smarter, mastered the art of psi, possibly veeeeeery slightly more evolved or something else. >.>

It would be like Futurama... But realistically, the culture and social norms would be so ridiculously different it would take some time before you can adapt to them. It would be like moving to another country x100. >.> Then there's the fears that during your cryogenic phase, you experience the pain of being frozen while you are in the ice bed! Since we don't know what happens after death, but that's just a guess.

But still, I may actually try this myself. Ya never know >.>

The day any of this ever happens is when the world will end