Sign in to follow this  
sosavpm

Violence in Videogames

We, as gamers, (or at least it happens to me) get pissed when a politician or adult comes and says that a massive murder has been done by two teenage boys and that the cause for the murder was the fact that they played Doom or other violent games (Im not really refering to any specific event, im just summarizing a series of them) This has happend alot of times for example on UK with Manhunt, two guys attacked a dude on a park (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7137212.stm) Later it happened with San Andreas and later on it happend many times with Doom and other games.

I belive that Violence is somthing we have inbeaded deep inside ourselfs , because, just think, on stoneage you had to be fierce to survive, you had to kill bigger, meaner animals, later on, society has been disaproving violence every time less( not that i support violence, im just saying that we must accepts its a part of us and we must know how to control it). Back to the subject at hand, videogames give you a space in which to express this language and be all the violent you want without hurting anyone. The problem is that the assholes that go out and kill half humanity dont realize that there's a key word in all of this, these things we play are videoGAMES, just GAMES, not for you to carry out in the real world. The M rated doesn't just mean that all above 18 can play it, NO!, it means M for MATURE. If you aren't mature enought to differintiate among games and the real world, then you should not be playing it. (It just pisses me off)

And heres a message to the fathers, If your going to buy a game to your son or daugther, first check the fking game first! Also if you see your son has been playing San Andres for the last 7 days straight, you should keep an eye on him and probably talk to him, cause yea that works.

Anyways...

Concluding, I dont think that playing violent videogames makes you a violent person, I think that people who are not mature enought can becaome more violent with this games, not because the game itself is leading you to kill but because the person is predisposed to this kind of behaivior.

Ok... well I think that's it for today...

Please tell me what you think on this subject, i wanna hear other opinions :Metroid2:

sosavpm

PD : Sorry for the grammar or anything else i was a little pissed <_< when i wrote this article

If playing a violent videogame makes you do violent things, then your mind is obviously very impressionable, or you're just too stupid to realize that doing bad shit is, well, bad? Either way, I think someone like that needs to be locked up in one way or another, either in a mental facility to facilitate one's mental needs or in a prison since you obviously don't give a damn about laws. Yes, people saying videogames causes violence irritates me. It's blatant politically correct ignorance, two things I hate combined into one super pain in the ass.

I totally disagree.

Games should be eliminated and tougher sanctions should be applied to games that contain gore, blood, sex-related material, drugs, etc.

NOT

Damn, you actually had me like WTF? for a second XD;

I agree.

When I play video games, I'm playing video games! It does NOT carry over into real life!

People who don't understand that shouldn't be playing video games in the first place!

Mmm, I don't completely agree. Everything you do, watch, read, and witness affects how you think and act. If you play enough violent games, you won't be nearly as sensitive to violence as you would likely be otherwise. So playing a lot of violent games does affect you.

That said, I do hate it when videogames are blamed for different events. Everyone makes their own choices, and no matter what influences them, it is still their own decision. If a person loses the ability to separate fantasy from reality, it IS their problem. Ultimatley, the person is at fault. If they are being strongly influenced by the game, they also have the responsibility to control their game time.

So in short, no, games do not cause murders/suicides/whatever, that is the person's fault. However, games (like anything else) CAN influence your thinking, so playing a lot of highly violent games can be a problem.

First of all, if a person twisted enough to kill someone else because their videogame encouraged them to do so, they probably would have killed someone anyways because they obviously either suffer from sort of mental condition, or they were raised in certain conditions in which the thought of murder had no signifigence. Anyways, when you think about it, ESRB is VERY strict with most videogames. Ironman(movie), for example, was rated PG-13. It had a shit load of violence, language and some suggestive, if not sexual content. Take that over to a game, and you get an automatic M. Infact, I just got a Castelvania game, and it's rated M for violence and blood, whereas Jurassic Park had blood, violence, language, and gore, yet it still has it's own little section over at Universal Studios Orlando.

Another point I would like to make is about the violence. I'm sure all of you have watched atleast one cartoon at some point in your life. Cartoons are INCREDIBLY violent. Why? Cause the thought of someone else getting hurt makes kids laugh.

Just putting that out there.....

I actually think games make people less likely to do something because they can take a bit of anger out on the little men made of pixels. Seriously though, games don't make people do shit. Whatever they do is their own decision and was probably influenced by much more than the games they play.

I'm actually more with Jayon on this one. The thing is, you can't JUST blame games. There are so many other factors affecting our society which leads to these murders. Thing is, I think there's been quite a decline in morality in general.

Anywho, movies, games, books, media yadda yadda, they all treat violence like its normal. Our society is getting complacent. And the more and more kids start to hear about school shootings, the more they will start to think its normal, even ok. I think people are starting to get ideas.

Good point Lonte, if games DO influence murderers it isn't the only thing doing it. Because of that videogames shouldn't be targeted as much.

Akurixs' post was too long so, tbh I didn't read it...

Edited by Sour_Shinji

:(

Sour, you should have just put tl;dr there. Would have saved you precious seconds.

Anyway, Akurixs is basically right. People are exposed to so much violence nowadays, and ESRB rates games strictly to make sure kids aren't exposed to so much violence. (Yet they play M rated games anyway because their parents aren't interested in making sure that their children are playing age appropriate games.)

Most of our parents grew up during the 50s. Hey, they had violent television back then too. (The 3 Stooges comes to mind. Loony Toons does as well, just...not as much.) I'm fairly sure that our parents don't go around killing people.

Or, at least I HOPE they don't. O_o

Meh, I think this came up when mothers would look for any excuse for "my baby isn't bad, the violent game is!" That happens with a lot of other things too, but at the same time I can understand their perspective.

Then again, who bought the game for the kid? The parents.

Or, if the kid got the game, who gave the kid the money to do so? The parents.

No matter what, it comes back to the parents for letting their kid PLAY the violent video game.

Video games are more harshly rated because most violent video games simulate violent situations. Movies aren't rated as highly because watching a violent movie is like literally WATCHING a murder happen. Playing a violent video is like committing the murder itself... except you aren't. Regardless, any form of media will affect you psychologically, that's why its there. But that doesn't necessarily mean you'll think more violently because you watch a bloody movie. Emulating things you see on tv, movies, video games, etc. is something little kids do. Do you blow people's brains out on video games and think "COOL! I wanna do that someday!". No, it sounds silly just reading it mentally. We know that's something none of us would ever want to do. But the fact that you've never done it before is already a nanoscopic urge. This is why we play realistic violent games, to get it out of our system and to satiate our natural curiosity of the unknown; see what its like to live a life you know you never will.

That, and that fact that realistic physics in games makes it better as well... >.>

Leave Video games alone seriously before "violent" video games came out we've had 2 world wars and many more smaller conflicts. Crimes have been ocurring since who knows when, but now there is s scapegoat for all the worlds violence and problems. It happened in Grand Theft Auto to it's the video games fault that Timmy took his dad's unsercured load pistol and shot at people or It's GTA fault that a bunch of teens decide to shoplift from K Mart.

I feel if video games are so "real" we should have a worldwide Halo tournment to settle our disputes. It would be convienant cost less money and we don't have to clean up anything :D

It's just like when people think that reading The Catcher in the Rye, and even yet, liking it *zomfgmegagasp!* makes you an anti-social murderer. >.>

Ugh...

Never heard of that book