Sign in to follow this  
snʞı

The Metroid Level Contest

Well, here it is.

TC: Lontepark

Judge: Lontepark

Date created: Feb. 10, 2008

levelcontest.html

Hey, are we still doing this contest? 'Cause I have absolutely nothing to do tomorrow... :lol:

Yeah, as far as I know only DM did anything. If someone rounds up a level, I can give everyone else a few weeks to rival him.

So... yeah, if you wanna have some fun with this, you could end up winning a trophy! Do we have those little trophy things, or could we play for rep points of something?

There's no award winning this time, it was CANNON-BANNED.

Anyway, now that this has miraculously -thanks Kroot- revived, I will hand in my work tomorrow. ;)

I'm still waiting on my award for the banner contest. <_< And I'm amazed that I never got an award by winning by default for this. It's been...a couple of months.

I'm still waiting on my award for the banner contest. <_< And I'm amazed that I never got an award by winning by default for this. It's been...a couple of months.

Ok, now that that's done, I must make an announcement on my behalf:

I entered this topic once, but I won't be able to finish it for today, and although today is not a due date for this, I still prefer to retire from this contest instead of throwing false promises that would drag things further along time.

So yeah, I'm out of this, sorry.

Don't worry about it Iko, if you guys ever want to turn something in, go ahead. This is how I plan to run this thing, once someone turns something in, everyone else gets two weeks to match him. If no one matches him, he wins, and if we get more in those two weeks, then I'll judge them. Maybe I'll get help from Cannon or someone, but that's not important.

I posted in the topic that if none of the entries were good enough they would not grace the site. The banner was nothing but sprites pasted on a background, and even then I made several edits myself to it. It just didn't look professional enough in the end, and as you can see, we have a banner at the top.

Props for trying though, shows you can put forth effort. I think you were the only entry in the second contest (likely because of the guidelines I set)

>.>

Yay! Props! I can create a play now!

Yeah, that was idiotic.

I think I've got an idea in my head, based on something that I said in the RP ;) I'll run it over in my head today, and hopefully put together a concrete model soon.

Great! I've finally taken the time to do this, and I like what I've got :) Now... what do I do with it?

Email it to me or post it here. I'm amazed to see someone's actually working on this.

Okay :) Well, the level didn't scan too well, so I'm darkening the lines. I'll post it as soon as I've got a decent picture. It should be here within the next day, probably sooner.

Here's one of my old posts from the RP; it's this bit of story that my level is based on:

Ajax paused for a moment as he recalled the one time he had encountered the legendary bounty hunter. Shortly after the Tallon IV incident, a group of Space Pirates had decided to be rid of the meddlesome hunter. They had set a trap for her, with Ajax as their secret weapon.

The idea was simple: Samus was nothing without her legendary power suit. Also, from intelligence reports from the original Zebes attack, it was believed that her power suit could be controlled from her ship. It was Ajax's job to hack into her ship and find out what could be done to disable the legendary armour.

The overall plan had been to lure Samus to attack a Space Pirate outpost. While she was making her attack, Ajax would infiltrate her ship. But Ajax was not about to entrust his life to a group of Space Pirates: He had placed a number of tiny sensors around the pirate base, letting him pinpoint Samus's location at any time. When she landed on the planet, he simply waited aboard Trojan until she had left the site, then he had landed and began his work.

The ship was the most sophisticated vessel Ajax had ever seen, besides his own. Even so, the most striking feature of the ship was its amazing computer system. As soon as Ajax started working on it, it had become clear that it was not human-built. It must have been another of the hunter's relics obtained from the Chozo. Of all the beings in the universe, Ajax hated none more than the Chozo. These elite thinkers had built the only computers which could cause Ajax hacking difficulties, and this was happening now.

Still, he could do it. Given enough time, Ajax would be able to decode even the deepest secrets of this database. But then he checked his sensors, and realized time was something he did not have. The Space Pirates had foolishly failed in their half of the trap; their special forces, which were supposed to keep Samus busy, had fallen. The hunter would soon make short work of the base and return to her ship, and Ajax had no intention of being there when it happened.

Quickly leaving the cockpit, Ajax boarded Trojan and took off. In the distance, he could see a lone figure, clad in orange armour, emerge from the smoking base. He knew Samus would have no way of recognizing him, that she may not even realize what the pirates had planned to do, but he would remeber his defeat at her hands and would never forgive her for it.

This level is that occurence, from Samus's point of view. Now, for the details...

Description of Level:

This level is set on a mining planet in an outer arm of the galaxy; I'm going to name the planet Alexandria. It's a short time after the events on Tallon IV; Space Pirates have captured a mining factory on the planet and plan to use it as a trap for Samus. They have been using the factory as a minor outpost, and have leaked information intending to lure Samus into attacking the base. Once she enters, the door locks and the pirates try to delay her; outside, Ajax enters her ship and tries to hack into her ship's computer. Samus doesn't know this, but she has to clear the base of pirates and return to her ship before her ship and power suit are hacked and shut down.

Enemies in Level:

The primary enemies are Space Pirates. There are also a few security drones, but they are few compared to the pirates. In the small outdoor segment, there is one small spined creature, similar to a Geemer but native to Alexandria; it is known as a Thriner. More information on the enemies will be given when I post the map.

Summary of Level Progression:

I'll explain it when I post the map.

Sorry this took so long; I had to downsize the image a few times, then fix up some details that were lost in the resize. I hope everything is still clear:

metroidlevelck0.png

I'm too tired to explain everything tonight; hopefully, I'll get time for that tomorrow.

Key:

Red - action blocks (switches, bomb blocks, etc.)

Yellow-Brown - morph ball slot

Light Blue - indoor space

Dark Blue - outdoor space

Bright Green - upgrade

General info:

You start off at your ship with the basic equipment: charge beam, varia suit, morph ball, grapple beam, bombs, 25 missiles. The level includes one weapon upgrade: the Interferance Beam (hereafter called the int. beam). It is less powerful than the charge beam, but it passes through walls and can cause some electrical systems to temporarily lose power and shut down.

Circles indicate obstacles, while squares indicate helpful events. The circles next to a door indicate a locked door; a number indicates a lock that has to be opened, an X indicates a door that is opened by the int. beam, a + indicates a specially unlocking dooe, and an L indicates a door that does not unlock until something is done in the room (namely, you beat a boss). A circle with a letter indicates a boss. A square with a number in it indicates the switch to unlock the numbered doors, and an X indicates the location of the int. beam.

Level Progression:

You make your way through the outdoors, passing one Thriner. Once inside the base, there are space pirates in just about every room, so I'm not going to specify where they are. First, you have to move up the room, blast the missile block, and move up to the elevator. After moving up a level, you can enter the tower room and open the level 1 doors locks. Then go back down the level and use one of the halls to the central shaft; the fastest way is to use the bomb block and morph ball tunnel to roll down to the second hall. The central shaft is one of the few rooms that has no pirates; instead, there are small spider-like drones walking up and down the left wall, shooting at you. From the shaft, pass through another hall into Room B. Here, you face your first boss (see bosses on bottom). Go into the next room and pick up the int. beam, then head back out and beat the boss. The door will unlock, and you can head back to the central shaft.

Move up the shaft and into Room A (you must have the int. beam for this). Once you open the level 2 locks, move down to Room C. Here, there are a set of pivoting morph ball tunnels, and a morph ball canon. Shoot the red balls on the poles to pivot the tunnels, until the morph ball can pass through them cleanly. Then move up and enter the tunnels; each one will accelerate the ball, and you must jump once you reach the third platform to reach the canon. This will shoot you into a pipe and deposit you on a platform. Unlock the level 3 locks, and head back to the shaft. You can drop a level, destroy the int. beam blocks and the bomb block, then use the morph ball tunnel to drop down to the garbage shoot. There's also a recharge room on the left side of the central shaft.

Go to the bottom of the shaft and pass through the left hallway; you must have the int. beam and all three level locks undone. You will reach the reactor core, where you'll face the second boss (see bosses). Once he is defeated, the doors will open and a timer will begin. You must escape through the left door to get out in time. Move up the platforms, through the hall, and up until you reach the yellow support structure. Shooting the red ball will bring the floor down, and you'll be at the entrance to the factory. Exit and head back to your ship.

The entire mission is timed. If you take too long (I'm thinking 25 mins.+), you'll get a gameover when you reach the ship and a message saying your main computer was hacked. If you reach the ship fast enough (I'm thinking less than 15 mins.) you see a clip of a mysterious ship taking off in the distance (Ajax's ship, of course).

Bosses:

A ) An armored space pirate with a shield generator. His armor takes damage from all kinds of weapons, but once it's damaged so much, he'll turn on his shield long enough for it to repair. He fires low-accuracy high-power missiles at you. Hop from platform to platform to dodge him, until you reach the large vault door. If 3 of his missiles hit the door, it will break, letting you get the int. beam. Once you have this weapon, you can use it to shut down his shield. You can then simply attack him.

B ) An armored aero-trooper. He attacks like most flying pirates, but has a lot of armor. The flying platforms have a metal underside which you can grapple onto to gain some height. You can simply attack him until you've won, but that will take a long time; there is an alternate method. He will send small explosive bee-like drones to attack you; if you shoot them with the int. beam, they will freeze in place for a few seconds and explode, doing more damage to him than your normal weapons.

... phew! I think I'm done. I'll check it for mistakes tomorrow night; I'm too tired now.

Holy cow I'd completely forgotten about!!! So sorry Jayon. This is absolutely fantastic. You put a lot of work into this! And seeing as it's been slightly more than two weeks... I think we can declare Jayon to be the winner!

+rep

loi, thanks :lol: It was a fun project, and it was something to think about while being very bored at work :p Hope you all like the level.