Sign in to follow this  
SR388

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

This "risk" is a bunch of bologna that people made up to scare everyone, it's been going on since the first particle accelerators were made. People think it could create a black hole, even though, for reasons I explained, even if a black hole WAS created, it'd be too small to do anything.

And there's no scientific evidence that it could actually do anything like that.

There is nothing to worry about nothing is going to happen if it does oh well

So why exactly are these stupid ass scientists launching this if it has such a large risk of killing billions of people?

Knowledge, because Science leads to discoveries.

I'm going to put it in a way you might get it without needing a long discussion.

When scientists were testing the first Nuclear Bomb people though it would cause a chain reaction that would cascade and destroy every particle there was, there by destroying earth. Well it didn't happen.

The Internet was created as a result of the research obtained from Nuclear Science. So in a way Nuclear physics and the Nuclear Bomb are responsible for the Internet.

Lies!!!!!!!!!!!!! Al Gore invented the internet

Well, they only shot a test beam, they didn't collide anything yet.

The collision aparently takes place in October, so you can still put this on stand-by.

It isn't until October until they start colliding protons, and then start fucking shit up.

Yes, everything they have done so far is just test beams. A while ago was the proton/neutron interjections, a few days ago was a tiny little test beam, just for the sensors in France and Switzerland and make sure nothing suddenly ****s up. The real deal is on October 21st, when the super high energy collisions start. THAT is when you should worry about the apocalypse. >.>

The reason CERN (the dudes conducting all this) want to do this is to simulate the beginning of the universe and to prove the existence of the Higgs Boson. The Higgs is a strange theoretical particle that has the potential to create mass, and may have been responsible for the Big Bang. If we are able to detect this, then we will be able to expand the Standard Model and will have more understanding of particle physics. Their could be new revolutionary energy sources with this kind of knowledge. If we don't detect a Higgs... then ****, the only thing we'll learn is that we are a long way from finding this "god particle".

As for the whole black hole thing, an event horizon that small would do anything but evaporate in Hawking Radiation. But THAT is why micro black holes would be so dangerous, since the way black holes evaporate is another thing we don't understand very well, the results may or may not be destructive.

EXACTLY!

No atom-sized black hole is going to do anything except evaporate. Of course, that might cause problems if it could be destructive, but...

Hey, we'll be able to understand how black holes evaporate if it does, in fact, create one. And these would be, like...less than micro black holes. There's no way that they could do anything.

However...if we simulate the creation of the universe...what if we create another universe?

There wouldn't be nearly enough energy for that. At the most, we'll be able to create a few particles. Nothing more (although the possiblity of antimatter raises a few questions).

Since we have proved antimatter's existence, I think we've already created antimatter with particle accelerators.

Or something like that.

Hey, if Higgs Bosons can create matter, then they can create energy. You can't create one without the other.

And even a single atom has a hell of a lot of energy.

Sounds good and dandy in theory.

Apply it in real life.

Atomic Bomb.

Need I say more?

No, not exactly. Matter and energy are two different forms of the same thing. You cannot create either from nothing; however, it is possible to convert one to the other (it's just really, really hard). By giving these particles such a high velocity, they will also be giving them a very large amount of energy. It is this energy (along with the energy in the matter of the particles being collided) which will form the new particles. If they could actually create energy, we'd be both breaking the laws of physics and elimitating the need for any other source of energy, ever.

Well, from what SEELE said, the Higgs Boson is theoretically potentially able to create mass.

Mass=Matter.

It already breaks the laws of physics. (Law of Conservation of Matter.).

Energy=Mass x the speed of light^2

If you're breaking the Law of Conservation of Matter, you're breaking the Law of Conservation of Energy.

Hey, the Higgs Boson is apparently the "god particle". If it can create mass/energy, yes, they could be a potential energy source. That is, if they're stable. If they're not, then it's unlikely that they'd last very long. Most likely a very small fraction of a second, only just appearing so that we can note it exists and nothing more.

Need I say more?

How about explaining how Samus doesn't release a nuke every time she turns into a ball?

That's a good start.

Umm, what? That's fiction; we're talking facts.

Anyway, I don't think this particle accelerator will actually be able to create matter; what it will be able to do is produce so much energy that solid matter forms from it. It will be new particles of matter, but it won't be created from nothing; it will be energy in the form of matter, simply converted, not created.

Ikus? Don't you remember the most important rule of video games? You know, the one saying that the laws of physics need not apply?

It wasn't a good point that you just brought up. Didn't really make sense.

But, I'm just saying that SEELE said the Higgs Boson has the potential to create mass, which obviously means it already breaks the laws of physics. But, I think that such a particle would be extremely unstable. It would most likely decay extremely fast. It might create some matter, but for the most part, it would only be present long enough for us to note that it does exist.

These scientists=SATAN!!!!!!!!! THEY IZ SETTIN UZ UPS FOR TEH END UF TEH WURLDZ!

>.> Seriously they aren't gonna make a black hole...

Anyway, I don't think this particle accelerator will actually be able to create matter; what it will be able to do is produce so much energy that solid matter forms from it. It will be new particles of matter, but it won't be created from nothing; it will be energy in the form of matter, simply converted, not created.

Well of course we aren't going to create something out of nothing. The LHC will theoretically mash particles into a "yactoscopic" melting pot in order to form a Higgs, a particle that we know next to nothing about, but may have been responsible for the seemingly random creation of the universe. October 21st is either a HUGE leap ahead for mankind, the end of mankind, or just another experiment showing that we'll need a few more decades worth of research before we can have some favorable results.

I know this may sound very geeky, but I'm totally psyched for this :) Can't wait to know what will happen, and what it will unfold into!

I know this may sound very geeky, but I'm totally psyched for this :) Can't wait to know what will happen, and what it will unfold into!

I don't blame you, it's pretty interesting in fact. I mean, if their Theories are held true during the experiment (and nothing ridiculously bad happens), they will actually prove all of them once and for all!

And after proving all those theories as true, we can then finally move on as to how did the Big Bang happened. It's very unfolding, and it's bound to revolutionize the world just as much as Einstein did back in the black and white days.

I'm also looking forward for the results here.

I hope that something completely unexpected happens. It'd would be a lot of fun just to confuse the heck out of all these top minds.

XD It would.

Like, the protons collide and water appears out of nowhere. The implications of such an event would be catastrophic for ANY standing scientific theory today.

They'd be like:

- YES! We have created anti-matter!

- I think we just proved everything we had spent hundreds of years doing!

- Let's go check

- Um... guys?

- Yes Chuck?

- Um... it's not anti-matter... it's...

- TELL US CHUCK! WHAT IS IT!?

- Um... water.

Everyone: . . .

*Half of the scientists die of a seizure. The other half enters a negation cycle. As for the rest of the world, it just went on.*

I hope that something completely unexpected happens. It'd would be a lot of fun just to confuse the heck out of all these top minds.

That would be bad, because if that happens then a large portion of our modern physics would need a new explanation. The results could extend all the way to the mathematical system.

Math is only universal if the basis it is built on makes sense.

And it would, of course, be bad.

You know, because all of us have had our math ingrained into us. Imagine how bad it would be if they found out from this random and unexpected occurrence that our entire mathematics system needs to be overhauled!

2+2 would no longer equal 4! That's a bad thing!

And it would, of course, be bad.

You know, because all of us have had our math ingrained into us. Imagine how bad it would be if they found out from this random and unexpected occurrence that our entire mathematics system needs to be overhauled!

2+2 would no longer equal 4! That's a bad thing!

You're not looking at it in quite the right way though >.>

It's possible. Maybe we'd realize that we have to use a different number system than decimal!

Like...base 13!