Sign in to follow this  
Dudemaster47

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening

Who here has this game? *raises hand*

I just got a new copy because I wanted to get it to where our old copy was when I lost it. I'm giving it to my older sister as a birthday present, so...

hope she likes it.

Anyway, it's a great game. It's deep, it's difficult without being too hard, it has excellent music (Tal Tal Heights), it's new (first time a Zelda game strayed from the "Oh noez, someting bad hapent to teh princesz, go save teh wurld frum gannon!!! Exaggeration, but still.), it's exciting, you can STEAL from the SHOP (which can't be done in any other Zelda game) on penalty of being called THEIF for the rest of the game and being killed with Force Lightning the next time you enter the shop (curtesy of the shopkeeper). It's witty as well (You got 20 rupees! JOY!!!).

Not to mention, you really feel bad for the characters you had gotten to know and love at the end of the game when

You realize that the entire island was simply a dream of the Wind Fish, and that by waking him up you are essentially destroying the island and killing all of its inhabitants...seems like the monsters weren't really as bad as you thought, huh?

Yeah.

*Raises hand*

Such a marvelous game. I have the DX version remake with the "Color Dungeon", which doesn't really add too too much all by itself, but is still a fun addition. DX also gave us the first (I think) appearance of pictography with the mouse photographer. Despite the DX version being a color remake of the original black and white Link's Awakening, the photos taken are all a delightful sepia tone.

As for the ending,

I never found it quite as sad as everyone else makes it out to be. I'd always assumed the island would reappear the next time the Wind Fish took a nap. And besides, the guy made one of his dream-figments into a real live...seagull. She really wanted to be one though. So it's all good.

I close with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB7BV1ewsZk

I remember the color dungeon =O I always got the red suit =]

Of course, it's just photography on Koholint, like it is in real life. It's also the first TRUE appearance of the Legend of Zelda staple instrument: The Ocarina.

(Of course, the instrument in LTTP had the appearance of an Ocarina, but was called a flute, so it didn't count.)

I prefer the blue clothes, since defense helps you not die and all.

Man, the ending...well accompanied by the ballad of the wind fish (which, btw, is a very beautiful piece) really kinda does bring me to tears, as, you know, I kinda doubt that Koholint Island ever reappears.

Although...I wonder if the Ocean King in Phantom Hourglass is the Wind Fish, or at least related in some way? (I know they're both...well...sorta similar looking whales that can grant wishes, and the whole thing is supposedly a dream. Okay, the Ocean King...isn't quite as creepy or...well, may not be able to fly.)

It does have a few parallels to Link's Awakening, though.

I've got it; and yes, it is a great game. That said, it's not that difficult; I got a lend of it from a friend and beat it in a week. Still, I loved it. Ballad of the Wind Fish is one of the nicest songs in the Zelda score, and I was pretty disappointed when they had a different song under the same name in Majora's Mask. I bought it several years after I first beat it, and really enjoyed playing through it again. It was one of the few Zelda games that I didn't have at the time; now, I've managed to get my hands on all of them (in one form or another). A very fun game; it also set the stage for the Oracle twins on the GB Colour.

I have this game as well. Actually, this was the first Zelda game I've ever played. I got the DX version when I was 7, but I remember the game being a little too hard at the time, so I didn't finish the game until I was a little older.

My favorite part of the game is probably all the references to other games, like the Yoshi doll, Mr. Wright, and heck, I even remember the goombas and piranha plants! There was also a Kirby-like enemy in the Eagle Tower IIRC.

Good game. The ending was kinda sad, though. =(

The goat giving Mr. Wright a photo of Princess Peach with her name on it... :lol:

For anyone interested, I just started doing a Let's Play of the original. The first vid is up at

I know what you sound like, Jayon! I know your voice!

Fu fu fu fuu!

Moving on. It's worth pointing out that my current avatar is one of the photos from Link's Awakening DX. Marin and Link falling down the well, or as I call it "Hot Marin on Link Action."

loi :p Well, as I said in the description, any feedback would be great. Or suggestions for the next game; I know that Link's Awakening has been done a bunch of times already. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy it :) Of course, if you haven't played through the game, the videos are sure to contain spoilers, so watch at your own risk :p

Funniest photo in the game there, you might say.

Because it is!

It is pretty awesome, I broke my GBA a while back playing Zero Mission (the zero suit part pisses me off on hard). So I can't really play GB/GBC games now lol.

I haven't played this game, but i did play one called the oracle of seasons, or ages, i don't remember well, it was for the GBC too. I liked it a lot. Still i don't think it was that popular.

The Oracles were great games, but they certainly weren't as popular as Link's Awakening, or other Zelda games of the day. They're very similar to Link's Awakening, and I really enjoyed both of them.

Don't have it. Really want it.

Just have to say, DX is my fifth favorite game of all time (yeah, I'm enough of a nerd to have a ranking, what of it?)

By the way, love the voice, Jayon biggrin.gif

Just have to say, DX is my fifth favorite game of all time (yeah, I'm enough of a nerd to have a ranking, what of it?)

We're on a Metroid-based Community Forum, you don't need to explain anything.

Since this topic has apparently and irreversibly spiraled into a "what's your favorite Zelda game" topic, well, mine is A Link to The Past and following in very closely a tie between Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time.

Since this topic has apparently and irreversibly spiraled into a "what's your favorite Zelda game" topic, well, mine is A Link to The Past and following in very closely a tie between Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time.

Link to the Past is great, but Wind Waker and Ocarina of Time I'm never sure about. I've always thought Ocarina was a bit overrated (Majora's Mask trumps it in almost every way, and Twilight Princess is the same thing with a bigger scope), and Wind Waker....I don't know. The cel-shading is phenomenal, but most of the game just feels bland -- especially the dungeons, which are just tedious at times (except for Tower of the Gods, which was amazing). I do have to admit, though, Wind Waker has by far my favorite Ganondorf battle. And Wind Waker is probably the only E-rated game in history in which the protagonist lodges a sword in the antagonist's head tongue.gif

Well, I've always loved Ocarina; maybe it's the nostalgia, maybe it's the fact that it was my first 3-D Zelda (which I was always a fan of), or maybe it's just something else that I can't put my finger on, but it's always been my favorite Zelda, not to mention my favorite game ever. Link to the Past probably sits at #2 (it was my first-ever Zelda game), but with a series that's so great, it's hard to say. Wind Waker and Majora's Mask are up there too, and it's hard to say which of the three really ranks "second." Even amongst all of the other games in the series, I really can't think of any that are bad (though I'm not a huge fan of Zelda II, and the difficulty on that one is through the roof).

Even amongst all of the other games in the series, I really can't think of any that are bad (though I'm not a huge fan of Zelda II, and the difficulty on that one is through the roof).

Zelda II is terrible haha. I think I'd rather play Final Fantasy II, and that's saying something.

What... I liked FF2

I liked to abuse leveling.

Sure the level up system sucked so hard. That is unless you learned how to abuse it. (aka attack yourself to level up)

By the time I'd get to the mountains in the second region (forgot the name) I'd be soooo over-leveled :)

Wait, which FFII are we talking about here? The real FFII (originally only known about in Japan), or the "American" FFII (a.k.a. FFIV)?

I assumed he was talking about the real FFII.

I think they're both good, but much more people like FFIV.

I assumed he was talking about the real FFII.

I think they're both good, but much more people like FFIV.

I'm talking about the original, one of the most painful gaming experiences I've ever had. After maxing out all three characters' HP, MP, and weapons right outside the first town, I finally stopped to ask myself, "Why the hell am I doing this?" and put down the controller for at least three months...although I have to admit, when I started playing again, I enjoyed it quite a bit (most likely because I had gotten a game-and-a-half's worth of grinding out of the way tongue.gif) It doesn't even compare to III, though, which is far and away the best Final Fantasy ever (and yeah, I'm literally the only person in the gaming world that thinks that...whatever biggrin.gif) By the way, this discussion calls for an...

Obligatory Ranking of the Final Fantasies I've Played:

1. III

2. VII

3. VIII

4. VI

5. IX

6. IV

7. V

8. II

9. I

Couldn't resist. On another note, I probably should play X, XII, and XIII soon. How is XIII, Chris?