Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lontepark

Metroid: Other M

69 posts in this topic

Neato. This sounds all crazy and interesting!

...Does the opening...feature the power suit, varia suit, or gravity suit? Cause if it doesn't feature the Varia Suit at all, then I'm gonna have to call SHENANIGANS on it. For reasons we all probably know about, I assume?

Varia Suit. I know, I know... Maybe in the series cannon, Samus sequence broke her way to Mother Brain >.>

No, the Varia Suit alone is fine, it's if she ISN'T wearing the Varia Suit that would be shenanigans. (She coulda turned off the Gravity Suit.)

Because, in Super Metroid, if Samus wasn't using the Varia Suit, Mother Brain's lazer would deal twice the damage because it didn't check for anything BUT the Varia Suit.

Yeah, using it can allow you to move around during the cutscene in the middle of the Mother Brain battle where the baby metroid is on your head.

Some of the "twilight" effects, Midna's arm and

Midna's giant spider form

was cel-shaded.

Some. And it fit with the design and glossiness of the Twilight Realm's shadow beings. But what I really mean is that the cel shading I see in these pictures and videos of Other M is more similar to the bluntness and shallowness of Wind Waker's cel shading than whatever technique used to create Twilight Princess. In other words, it looks kiddie. And it makes me uncomfortable thinking that such a design will give birth to a new Metroid game, a game which IMHO will be a pivotal point in the Metroid series in which things will change for the better or for the worse, permanently.

Whatever comes out with Other M, that is going to be the Metroid series's future.

To be fair, Team Ninja/SPD Group 1 ("R&D1" is so last millennium dry.gif) have the difficult and unfortunate job of distancing "Metroid" from "Metroid Prime," a job which is entirely necessary (an innovation isn't an innovation forever; you eventually need to replace it with a new innovation) and requires a complete change in style, simply because "Metroid Prime" became a legitimate sub-series with more influence (and by the way, more sales wink.gif) than the classic Metroids. Love it or hate it, you have to admire Nintendo's willingness to do the right thing (but then again, Yoshio Sakamoto has always hinted at his disdain for Metroid Prime, so it probably wasn't all that hard of a decision). And it probably will only be the series' future for another five years or so.

That being said, there is no way this game is going to be better than Metroid Prime....

A new trailer featuring a bunch of gameplay.

Must say, it's looking mighty snazzy.

This is it. Damn, my expectations of this game rise with every trailer.

Another video. This ones in Japanese, and only about the last third is new footage, but here ya go!

It definitely seems like they're trying to give Samus something of a character now, judging by how much talking she does. Just wish I could understand some of it...

I can't wait to see what intergalactic space gerbil she'll trip over and lose her items on next. (What's the point of all that bounty money if she keeps taking such poor care of her belongings?)

But all seriousness aside, that Japanese trailer was pretty freakin cool.

Samus will probably lose her equipment by testing some sort of new suit that goes awry and f*cks her up badly, creating an evil twin, anOther M.

Yea.

The game sucked. Not because of it's new gameplay. In fact, the gameplay actually saved the game from being a total failure. Rather, the game sucked because it was poorly written. Sad, but true. I myself did not see this coming. I was wary for the gameplay, and turned out both surprised, and disappointed.

If you haven't bought it yet, just rent it. It's not worth it's price. More so here in Venezuela. I regret buying it -_-;

Well, thusfar I have the game and am liking it, but I haven't gotten very far into it (going back to university really takes a bite out of your game time). I've currently made it to the second area, and so far the game is reminding me of Fusion (I wonder why). Anyway, I'll post my thoughts on it once I've gotten a little further into the game.

Also, a thanks to miss Lexi, as she's the one who secretly bought me the game :D

I've played up to where you're about to fight

Ridley

the 2nd time. So far, I think it's really well done. The only gripe I have is not being able to use certain abilities like missiles in 3rd person.

Well, I rented the game yesterday. It was a wise decision in my opinion. I just didn't think that the game was well made, and certain "design decisions" seemed to be... poor. Very poor indeed...

Also... hey. Haven't been here for a while, so I figured that I'd stop by and post.

I haven't played it =/

I heard it sucks pretty hard from more than a few sources, and I gave my nintendo wii away to my aunt, but when it gets to where it only costs like 20 bucks I might pick it up.

I was recently directed to this essay on the writing and story in Metroid: Other M:

http://moonbase.rydia.net/mental/blog/gaming/metroid-other-m-the-elephant/article.html

It drew some rather disturbing conclusions, but it's well reasoned and written. I would suggest reading it to all here, if you have the inclination and/or time.

It left me concerned about Yoshio Sakamoto's continued involvement in the Metroid series.

Edited by Bravo