Sign in to follow this  
Dudemaster47

......Food for thought

Humans. A group of over 6 billion (nearing or over 7 billion by now, possibly, I think) animals, all of whom are of the species homo sapiens. However, the term human applies to the genus homo, which we belong to. However...although we acknowledge the fact that there were other species of humans in the past, we don't have any different species of human anymore. But...why is that? Sure, we beat out our competing humans long ago, but...

How is it that the species homo sapiens hasn't evolved and branched out into several new species?

I think it may have. Humans are separated into several groups. Due to how diverse and wide-spread humanity became, what were originally homo sapiens evolved differently to adapt to their new climates. I'm...not going to go much further with this because it'll probably start sounding really racist...and I also can't seem to word it very well. But, really, it's simple to grasp.

Plus, being able to mate and produce offspring merely requires being in the same genus.

Though, yes, I am aware that this can be taken as extremely racist. Yes, I'm aware that this can be applied in an extremely racist manner. But that's besides the point. Humans are animals, we aren't magically exempt from the way nature works. Adapting to different climates caused diversity and, most likely, a separation of species.

But this is just me. Thoughts on the matter?

Plus, being able to mate and produce offspring merely requires being in the same genus.

Actually, if two organisms can produce a viable offspring (as in it can reproduce) than they are members of the same species. For example, horses and donkeys can produce mules, however all mules are steril therfore horses and donkeys are different species.

The reason why there is only one species on the genus Homo now is likely the reason why Pugs and German Shepherds are both Canis familiaris. They all, for whatever reason, are able to produce viable offspring.

By the way, maybe it is just me, but I didn't see any racism in your post.

There was no blatant racism in the post, and I know that there was no offense meant. However, if you draw out the idea, you find the suggestion that people of different ethnicities could be thought of as different species. If you hold that those "species" are equal in value and that the differences do not make one any better than the other, than there is still no racism in the though. However, if (for example) you were to tell a random black person that he's from a different species than you are, chances are it would be taken as a big insult, even if it wasn't intended to be. And there are some people who will read into something much further than was originally intended, just for the opportunity to find something "offensive."

As to the comment, it's true that all humans are of the same species because of the reproduction thing, but it is also true that we've kind of diversified into different sub-species. I've got a few different thoughts on this general topic, but it's late and I have work tomorrow. I'll talk some more on the subject if I remember to :p

The whole racism thing was more because I was afraid, and well aware, that what I was saying could easily be interpreted as such. So I was making sure that it wasn't.

Huh, well...

I thought there were a few exceptions to the rule of producing viable offspring from different species. Guess I was wrong. Though...I wonder how we will be able to tell when whatever evolves from us becomes its own species?

When if you f*ck you're sure you won't have offspring.

Perhaps future sentient sexual robots will be the next evolutionary step of humanity.

Well, you might still get offspring, but it may end up sterile.

...Well, actually, there is cross-breeding, which I believe means that in some cases two different species can reproduce to form viable offspring for some strange reason...

Well, you might still get offspring, but it may end up sterile.

...Well, actually, there is cross-breeding, which I believe means that in some cases two different species can reproduce to form viable offspring for some strange reason...

Cross-breeding is crossing different breeds of the same specie, like the Goldendoodles.

I don't know what would happen if a wold mates with a dog big enough, that would be an interesting case because they're technically different species but still really familiar, if not identical, genetically. In fact, I think that the difference between a dog and a wolf is not genetic, but domestication. I think they're an exception of the rule, but I'm no biologist so I wouldn't know.

I think that is the case because...well, I'm pretty sure some dogs can mate with wolves. And I think I read something mentioning that at one time, we may have intertwined with the Neanderthals...

Both species of human did coexist for a while, so who knows?

I believe we predated on Neanderthals until extincting them, so mating with them is not really logical, but it could have happened, something alike the relationship between Spanish colonizers and black slaves in South American colonization.

we aren't magically exempt from the way nature works

Well, actually... we are. We have rights to reproduce, laws that prevent rape and murder, and sooner or later abortion will become more common (well, at least I'm pretty sure it will >.>). We're no longer evolving the way animals do. In fact, natural selection is nonexistent in most of our societies. What I think may happen, is ethnic groups will being to disappear/blend into fewer and fewer races. This will be assisted with better methods of transportation and better foreign policies as well as the inevitable less racism in the future (or more and more social pressure to be a non-racist). Then we'll diverge in ways unrelated to current ethnic groups. We'll diverge into things like, the smart race and the dumb race, the beautiful race and the ugly race, the tall race and the short race etc...

I know I'm sounding pretty "future racist" but that's my idea.... Read The Time Machine, it has an idea in there that's kind of what I'm getting at.

I believe we predated on Neanderthals until extincting them, so mating with them is not really logical, but it could have happened, something alike the relationship between Spanish colonizers and black slaves in South American colonization.

Actually, the Neanderthals predated us by quite a bit. We only coexisted with them for a small period of their history, though.

And, SEELE, that's not magical though...

Yeah, I know.