Sign in to follow this  
Dudemaster47

Predestination vs. Free Will

Well, I kinda want to wait for everyone else's input into this subject. :) Do you believe that we have no control over our actions, or do you believe that we make our own paths through life?

I believe we're like trains in the sense that we're running on a set track, going somewhere (until we run out of coal and stop), but that we also have the option to willingly stop advancing, or to take any detour that passes by.

Should I go to college or stay and work at the family's farm? There's a bifurcation in the railroad tracks, all you need to do is choose the way. You're still stuck to the tracks though, that is, until you die.

Interesting.

Being stuck to the tracks also indicate that you can't go back, logically, and look back at the bifurcation you didn't take to see what was it about.

Depending on the tracks you set your train to run through, you might find cities, more coal, a new engine, new passengers, or on the other hand, maybe badly built tracks that lead to bumpy roads and eventual derailment. There are all simple metaphors, but I think you get what each of these mean in real life.

• Upvote 1

So, we all have a set destiny, but we can go about reaching it in different ways? Is that what you're saying?

Not exactly... destiny is not set. The idea of the railroad tracks is that you can't go back and that you can't do much to escape what you're currently going through other than taking another road up ahead. Your life wil depend entirely on what road you choose,

Interesting. In fact, my beliefs on the matter are incredibly similar.

I believe that there is a mixture of free will and predestination to our life. The path you take through life depends entirely on your choices. Of course, as every action has a set reaction, there must be, at least in the short term, a set future for every possibility, meaning an infinite number of set futures, only one of which will be the end result.

On a side note, I do believe that everyone has a destiny to achieve, to do some great, important thing in this world before they die. Whether they actually achieve this destiny is simply based on what choices they make in life.

It could be possible that admission into the afterlife requires one to repeat their life indefinitely, doing things a little better each time, until they finally make enough of the right choices to achieve this destiny. But that's been said by me in different places.

It could be possible that admission into the afterlife requires one to repeat their life indefinitely, doing things a little better each time, until they finally make enough of the right choices to achieve this destiny. But that's been said by me in different places.

It's called Buddhism.

And that was said by you in response to me saying that.

Yes, as a matter of fact, yes.

Indeed. I wish others would post their beliefs here as well. I intended this to be a very interesting philosophical discussion.

I believe we have free will to do whatever we want in our lifetime. In the end we all have the same destiny and that's death no matter what you do your path will end in death, but I think from the day you are born until the day you die it is up to you to do as you please.

Now I am a Christian and believe that when I die I will go to heaven to "live" in eternal peace and happiness. I also think that life is one big test in which you cannot study for, find the answers or cheat off you best friend. God tests you everyday and it is up to you which choice you make.

So I guess life is a little bit of both predestination and free will seeing as how all life ends in death, but you can do as you please until death.

Edited by Samus1

We all run out of coal eventually.

I'm in the free-will camp. We're all free to (attempt to) do whatever we want.

It just rarely seems like that.