Sign in to follow this  
Jayon

Game Ideas

I'm not sure about you guys, but over the years I've thought about many ideas for different video games that I'd love to get to play. Of course, I don't have the resources to create them, and the chances that they'll ever really be produced are slim to none. This topic is for all of those ideas that you think could make a great game (or game series), but which will never become a reality.

Note that the intention is not to actually make or develop these games, it's just to throw out ideas, however simple or detailed. Refining ideas would be great, but there is no plan to actually make these.

To start off, I'll give an example of a game inspired by Cold Play's "Viva La Vida" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44xirQ55IgA). The main character starts out as the ruler of a nation who has just come to power. The player then has to govern and manage the country as its new ruler; they can choose their style of government, weather it be by generosity and fair law, or the heavy-handed style of dictatorship. At the same time, there is one or more neighbor kingdoms which are also growing in power, and this nation has an ambitions ruler (based off the Roman nation, though not necessarily an exact copy). The player can choose to invade the opposing country or to defend his own, to encourage peace talks or to seek out enemy spies. Eventually though, no matter what the player does, the game will come to a war, and one way or another the player will lose his title as the ruler of the nation. The player then has to escape, and go into hiding. The objective of the game is to ultimately regain your seat as the ruler of the kingdom, and to overthrow those forces which originally stole your throne. How easy it is to re-win your kingdom will depend largely on what you did when you were still the ruler; if you ruled fairly, you will have the support of much of the populace as you work to overthrow the invaders. However, if you were a cruel ruler, your subjects will have probably revolted, siding with the enemy and making it nearly impossible to regain your lost throne.

• Upvote 1

That sounds pretty sweet Jayon, I'd play something like that. :)

Thanks :) Of course, all of the programming that would have to go into it would be a monster... the interactions and cause-and-effect setups that would go into a game like that would be incredibly immense, and a project of that size (even for a full-scale gaming company) would be a very large and costly undertaking. Simply having full control over all of the affairs of state would take a lot of work, and to then have your entire populace (plus the populace of your neighboring nations) react to all of your decisions would be a complexity going beyond that of any game I've ever heard of. But if it could be pulled off, it would be so amazing. A fully interactive world is the kind of thing modern gamers dream about; think about all of the hype back when Fable was coming out.

So, anyone else have any ideas?

Wow this is the best topic idea I've seen in a while. Job well Jayon. :)

And your game sounds kick ass if I interpreted it correctly. So after you're exiled it's basically an adventure through your own influences on the people because that is ingenious. Seriously.

I've had quite a few game ideas and I wanted to make them for the same reason the creator of Touhou Project did: there are hardly any games out there that I like, so I'd make (ZUN could make pretty good games by himself so there is hope!) with a team or something, but the probability as you said is pretty next to none.

One of my early ideas I got after watching Tetsuo the Iron Man was actually the idea of the character I made in Phantom City. You play as man with the ability to absorb/graft/assimilate metal and electronic components into himself, pretty much making him the ultimate cyborg. Throughout the game you could "steal" components from robotic and cybernetic enemies and you could also take parts off of just about any automated system. Each part would make you better in a certain almost RPGesque sort of way. If you rip out the sensory system of security system and add it to yourself you'll be alerted when an enemy is within a certain radius of you, if you assimilate the scanner of a high tech medical device you will be able to better identify things such as temperature and the function of certain electrical parts. You could also use software upgrades to better your gear. You would start the game out as human sized and then you grow to be tank sized as you progress through the game and key points of the story until you are pretty much Godzilla sized and can use stuff like theme park rides and large vehicle components (like taking the nuclear reactor of a submarine to move faster or hit stronger) to graft to yourself. You would also be able to combine different parts with each other e.g. You could combine a high powered pneumatic piston with a biometric spring system to give yourself extra jumping power. Or combining a Ferris wheel with sharpened helicopter rotors to make a giant saw. Stuff like that. Didn't really think of the story, I was like 14 when I thought this up :\ Maybe an alien invasion or something >.>

Course, it would a nightmare to program just like yours. I think laying out all of the possible combinations in a boolean algebra sort of way would be the best way of simplifying it, but even then making the game would be like making a microprocessor. Ah well.

I might post some more later on. Again, great topic.

Sweet idea :) That premise could result in several different games, depending on how the story and stuff was laid out. Not trying to steal your thunder, but here are a few ideas:

1) As you mentioned, the alien invasion. This could result in a simple, straight-forward, yet still fun game style. You would just keep getting more and more upgrades and getting bigger and bigger until you're powerful enough to blast through the enemy master weapons. In a simple version, you could get as many power-ups as you wanted, and all of their benefits would stack. In a more difficult version, you could have a limited number of upgrades that could be installed directly to your person. However, some of those potential upgrades could also accept upgrades, and by finding these components you could eventually grow your character to a huge size.

2) A more secret-agent style game, like Metal Gear. In this kind of a game you would have a very limited number of upgrades, and you would have to be selective in what abilities you choose. You would be able to remove upgrades in favor of new ones, but you would have to be careful to not leave anything important behind. And some upgrades could have drawbacks as well; for example, some things could be protected by security equipment. Other systems could have a tracking system built-in, making you the unknowing target of every nearby enemy. You would have to be very careful and investigative in this style of game.

Those are just a couple of ideas; I may throw in a few others in a while.

Man, all of these ideas are so awesome. I'd love to play these games if they existed, and that I know for sure.

But yeah, they'd require massive amounts of work, and it'd be ridiculously hard to do them well, most likely.

Actually, either one of those plots could work. You could attempt to assimilate alien technology only to find out it's incompatible or something, and would have to find a way to fix that. And, in addition to the protected parts and tracker parts, some could be just right off the bat kill you. For example, later in the game the villain army could try to counteract your parts stealing power by placing time bombs or viruses within their robots and machines, so you'd have to be very careful when try to extract their parts, or it could be game over (or Rezbit style viruses).

Another idea I thought would work well for the DS, Wii and maybe even the computer, was a fantasy game that emphasized most of it's spell casting with very small interactive things (like action commands in Paper Mario but much more complex). For example, casting saaayy... a simple fire ball spell would have you swirl you stylus around the screen until you hit the center, as if you were magically compressing air, with an appropriate animation to let you know how you are doing. If you wanted to cast an electricity spell you would have to make a bunch of slashing motions with the stylus. For a spell that heals you or someone else, a diagram of the human body emphasizing your wounds or cuts or whatever would come up and you would have to wipe them away as fast as the time limit allows. Summoning things would have you trace out a sigil, with the complexity and difficulty corresponding to how strong your summon is.

Leveling up would partially depend on how many enemies you slay (duh) but also by how well you perform each spell (which would be a matter of speed, precision, both etc.). So you could level up spells just by practicing them, and in addition to the usual damage, speed, area of effect and whatnot, the ease of casting it would go up as well and you'll be able to perform them quicker.

Of course, some spells would slow down the game by a large amount (supplementary spells would probably be like this) to give you time to cast it while still retaining the small chance you could be interrupted by an attack. Others would freeze the game itself (some offensive spells might do this).

If Final Fantasy had a system like this, I might consider playing those silly games.