Sign in to follow this  
Bravo

Nintendo's E3 2011

So. Who's been paying attention to E3?

I wasn't. But then an awkward little birdie informed me that Nintendo was up to something. Turns out it's their new console! Excitement abounds!

Called the Wii U, the console is following Nintendo's pattern of... re-imagining gaming. The new controller is, simply put, a beast. It looks to be about physically the size of a standard Wii console, and boasts features out the wazoo.

The controller has a touch screen with stylus, a camera, an accelerometer and gyroscope, a microphone, speakers, rumble, and a sensor strip. Not to mention the traditional button controls and two analog sticks.

Just hearing about this I thought Nintendo had lost their minds, trying to jam as many features as they could think of into this thing in the name of innovation. But is that what it is? Innovation? Or just more "gimmicks"? I will say right now that watching a few videos of the proposed gameplay purposes of the controller actually soothed some of my apprehension. Also, the console and controller are still in the prototype stages, so Sylux will swoop in and steal them to crush the Galactic Federation things could still change. The current release date is simply '2012'.

Nintendo has also displayed new games, and more information on games we already knew about. Skyward Sword was what I was most interested in.

From what I've seen of the game lineups, Nintendo seems to be reaching back to the "hardcore gamers" demographic (as well as nurturing its casual gamers). In a software lineup video I picked out a couple games in the ever-growing "realistic and gritty shooter" category, and also a new Ninja Gaiden game, among others.

So, long story short, go check things out for yourself, I guess?

http://e3.nintendo.com/

I haven't been watching E3 to any large amount, but I have seen a few of the new bits, mainly the new Nintendo console. To me, it looks like they're taking everything that they've produced in the past gaming generation (the Wii and the DS) and jamming it all into one console. I'm not sure yet how this will work, and I'm not going to make any hard calls until I see some more info and watch some demos. That said, from what I've heard, this could be a very versatile, very interesting new system.

Also, I too am looking forward to Skyward Sword. Unfortunately, I'm still using the old Wii controllers, so I need to get my hands on at least one expansion before I can play the thing sad.gif

I think it's interesting. Can't say anything else, controllers look clumsy with the pad and all, but I think it's just a matter of seeing what they come up with and how they implement the new tech.

WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU...

Now what does that sound like? They name the wii after a dude's ding dong, and now its successor is the sound emergency vehicles make. There is a crisis and it's in Nintendo's naming conventions.

Wii U Mad?

I didn't think anything of the name at first, but then I heard.... someone, I don't remember who, talking about it and he pronounced it "Weeoo" and for whatever reason it made me think of

(Maybe it was Satoru Iwata? Who knows...)

While I have to admit that the recent Nintendo names have been less-than-inspiring, I'll stick it out and see how the hardware handles. I remember the utter horror when I first heard that the awesome codename "Nintendo Revolution" was being replaced with "Nintendo Wii"; while I still agree that the name leaves something to be desired, I really do enjoy the system, and I'm hoping that will be the case with the Wii U as well.

I ended up hating the Wii and its inflexible bid on casual gaming. Which is pretty much why I'm so wary with the Wii U. They don't want to lose that massive casual console gaming market which they still dominate (even considering Kinect's success). Of course, with the great graphics more "hardcore" games will appear (I hate that term), but I'm worried these will be few and far between.

Fair enough; I have to admit, the number of hardcore games I have and play are few, though that's partially just because of time. I'm not sure how much gaming I'll be doing in the future; I'm hoping I'll have a little more time to play, now that I'm not buried with university.