Sign in to follow this  
Bravo

Anyone who knows things about image editing programs

I recently-ish got myself a new computer. I went for a Mac this time, because I'm impulsive and it seemed like the thing to do. So, I'm transferring over files I want to keep from my decrepit old computer, and find something I'd been working on in Paint.net. I bring it over, thinking I can finish it on my new computer.

Of course, now I know that PDN doesn't have a mac version, so I asked google what to do. I was told GIMP would be a suitable alternative, but now that I've tried to open the file I realize that it's saved in Paint.net's own special .pdn format. And GIMP will have none of that.

So I go back to google, ask it if there's any way I can get things rolling along here. Google is being spectacularly unhelpful in this situation (an unheard of occurrence, to me) which leads me to believe I am out of luck. But I figured I'd try you guys out, just in case.

Is there any way to open .pdn files in GIMP? Or is there another Mac-friendly program I can use to open it?

Unfortunately, I can't help you. I've used Paint.NET before, but never tried to open a file from there on a Mac, and barely ever used a Mac for that matter. It might be best to try get the file onto another PC, then try to open it in another program and try to save it as a more universal file type. Not sure if that will work, but its the best I can think of.

You should have converted your files to more open formats with Paint.NET before jumping the pond. There is a Photoshop CS5 plugin that can open Paint.NET files, but that's far from free. Gimp should have worked though, i was under the impression that it was compatible with Paint.NET.