Sign in to follow this  
Chris

Preview of a Recent Project

I though about posting this to the site staff section but I wasn't sure Ben could see it and I'd rather have it so everyone who has been visiting lately could view it. I've talked about making an actual magazine style version of magatroid but had never gone beyond talking about the idea. Well Metroid turns 25 this august so what better time than now.

Here is a sneak peak of the magazine cover. I'll be including older magazine content as well as writing new content for the issue that will be released in August. The cover isn't final since I don't know what the main feature will be, as such the background image may change.

Anyway pictures speak louder than words so here it is.

Cover Page

First impressions: I like it. It's very crisp. Professional. The layout doesn't seem too cluttered, so it should work well with any number of background images.

One concern I have involves the plug of Conglometroid. The little Metroid-insignia for the "C" is a bit blurry, so a simple aesthetic fix there, but it led me to wonder: if someone didn't know what they were looking at, might they read it instead as "onglometroid.com", with a nifty little Metroid decal beside it? I don't know if that's likely, but who knows with people...

First impressions: I like it. It's very crisp. Professional. The layout doesn't seem too cluttered, so it should work well with any number of background images.

One concern I have involves the plug of Conglometroid. The little Metroid-insignia for the "C" is a bit blurry, so a simple aesthetic fix there, but it led me to wonder: if someone didn't know what they were looking at, might they read it instead as "onglometroid.com", with a nifty little Metroid decal beside it? I don't know if that's likely, but who knows with people...

Thanks!

You raise a valid point, I might change the image to text and put the little metroid where the Samus render is.

Nice; very nice :) I do agree with Bravo on the possibility of the website name being miss-interpreted, but overall it looks excellent.

So, I notice along the top of the cover page there is a list of features... And one of these features is fan fiction...

I'm hesitant to put this forward, but I have been working on a story of my own, and it happens to fall within the Metroid universe...

My reticence stems from the fact that I currently only have just over four pages written, and I've been too busy these last couple weeks to work on it at all.

Also, the beginning at least is not very Metroid-y, it's not a Samus-centric story, and its primary source material is one of the series' more maligned games.

(And it's something I made, which I tend to feel should devalue the thing on principle.)

But after this week I should have more free time, so if anyone (mainly Chris. He's the boss, after all) is interested I can try to get some more work done on it so it can be submitted for review, or however things are done. Nearly the whole plot is planned out to some degree or another, so I imagine things should go rather smoothly in regards to actually typing it up.

So, yeah... how 'bout that.

That sounds good; I have one of Chozo's to fall back on if you get to busy though.

I want to release the magazine file the first of August so I'll need the story a bit in advance because I will need to format it for the magazine and give it a proof reading.

In the way of fan fiction, you could also use some of our RP stuff, though its kind of a mess right now. I could possibly go back and try to arrange everything into a flowing, comprehensive story, but that would take time (and I'm not exactly the most reliable for side-projects right now). Its probably not that helpful, but as long as we're discussing fan fiction, I thought I'd throw it out there.

I think you had best count me out, at least for this first month. I've got some niou-se I need to work through and there's no telling how short or long it'll take me. Just figured to give you a heads up.

I had intended to get this done in August...unfortunately once I went on vacation it lost all momentum. I did get 14 pages done before then, so I might work on it some this weekend or release one of the articles for viewing

I had intended to get this done in August...unfortunately once I went on vacation it lost all momentum. I did get 14 pages done before then, so I might work on it some this weekend or release one of the articles for viewing

Magatroid Preview

To view it with both pages side by side like a traditional magazine:

• If you're using adobe acrobat then go to view->page display->Two-page scrolling.
  • If you're using foxit pdf there are buttons on the lower right to enable two page view.

I do have a few comments I'd like to make.

• The main image is a low resolution. When I capped it I had intended to do so at a higher quality but didn't realize my mistake before it was too late. I'll be fixing that when I have the chance.
  • There also is a bit of inconsistency with the paragraph spacing on the right side directly below the pull quote. I'm making a note here to fix that as well.

Anyways let me know what you guys think.

Sign in to follow this